Case Code : CLBS113
Publication date : 2009
Subject : Business Strategy
Industry : Steel
Length : 03 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Global management, global outlook, shared language, good communication skills, communicate across international borders, business communication, English business language skills, English training program, traditional classroom training, online training, e-learning, career advancement, succession planning, global projects, innovation, collaboration, global mobility, productivity, workforce management, ArcelorMittal University, corporate university, ArcelorMittal, steel, Mittal Steel, Arcelor, mergers and acquisitions, M&A, Optimas Award, GlobalEnglish
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
After the formation of the world's largest steel company ArcelorMittal, SA, in 2006, the top management decided to make English the official corporate language. They contended that global management required a shared language and thus started providing online training in English to its managers and other high-potential employees. The management felt that training in English business language skills would help increase the company's global competiveness and also open up career advancement possibilities for its employees.
Questions for Discussion
1. Critically analyze ArcelorMittal's decision to make English its official corporate language. How is it expected to help the company manage across borders and cultures?
2. Critically analyze ArcelorMittal's online English learning program. Do you think the program will help increase the company's competitiveness in the global arena?
Cases on Related Topics
1. MTV Networks: The Arabian Challenge
2. Employer Branding at McDonald's: Redefining McJobs
3. Global Supply Chain Management: Best Practices at Li & Fung Limited