Case Code : CLHR032
Publication date : 2010
Subject : Human Resource Management
Industry : Two-wheelers
Length : 03 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Industrial unrest, labor unrest, go-slow strike, labor dispute, wage revision, long term wage settlement, LTS, Trade Union, All India Trade Union Congress, AITUC, production, production capacity, location, manufacturing location, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Ltd., HMSI, Honda Motor Company Ltd., Manesar, Hero Honda, Maruti Suzuki
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
In 2009, labor unrest started in the Manesar plant of Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India Ltd. (HMSI), the Indian subsidiary of the Japan-based Honda Motor Company. The workers allegedly resorted to a job slowdown and other tactics to push for higher wages and perks.
Questions for Discussion
1. In light of this case, discuss the issues and challenges faced by organizations witnessing labor unrest. How can labor disputes be resolved?
2. Critically analyze HMSI's decision to set up a plant outside of Haryana. Do you think the company could benefit from such a move considering that labor unrest is widespread in India?
Cases on Related Topic
1. Labor Unrest at Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (Private) Limited
2. IR Problems at Toyota Kirloskar Motor Private Limited
3. Collective Bargaining: The General Motors-United Auto Workers Deal
4. MTV Networks: The Arabian Challenge