Case Code : CLMISC009
Publication date : 2010
Teaching Note: Available
Subject : Miscellaneous
Industry : Banking
Length : 03 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
Lending decision, DSCR, security offered, repayment period, Age, Constitution, Education, Family background, due diligence
* This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
** More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
Nirmal Kumar, a bank manager in a new age private sector bank in India, has been approached by a transport operator named Sajjan Singh for a loan. Nirmal has collected and reviewed all the relevant information. Now he has to calculate the debt service coverage ratio (DSCR) and, taking into consideration the various bits of information available to him, take a decision on whether to extend the loan to Sajjan.
Questions for Discussion:
1. What are the various requirements for making a lending decision?
2. What are the various factors to be considered in making a lending decision?
3. What are the various facets of the lending proposal?
4. What is the significance of Financial Appraisal in making a lending decision and how is it done?
5. What is the concept of DSCR? How is it arrived at and how does it help in making a lending decision?
6. In this case, should Nirmal Kumar extend the loan to Sajjan? Give reasons to support your answer.
Cases on Related Topic:
1. Project Parivartan: State Bank of India's Internal Communication Initiative
2. Yes Bank: Competitive Strategy of a Late Entrant
3. State Bank of India: Competitive Strategies of a Market Leader
4. UTI Bank to AXIS Bank: A Corporate Rebranding Exercise