M-KOPA Solar-Technology and Partnership for Sustainable Finance
The case is structured to achieve the following teaching objectives:
- Learn the unique business model and process innovation of M-KOPA Solar to offer cost-effective green electricity under a sustainable finance model to the rural poor in Kenya.
- Debate the need for and flexibility of asset financing under the PAYG model which is key to the growth and sustainability of M-KOPA Solar
- Understand the issues and challenges involved in developing and testing and commercializing an idea
- Analyze the role played by collaboration and partnership in offering a solution to the bottom of the pyramid segment.
- Explore the social and environment impact of M-KOPA.
- Analyze M-KOPA’s factors of success and the need for business models that leverage on ground-breaking innovative and emerging technologies.
|ORIGIN OF M-KOPA SOLAR|
|DEVELOPING A BUSINESS MODEL AROUND AN IDEA|
|ANALYZING AND UNDERSTANDING CUSTOMERS FOR A BETTER BUSINESS MODEL|
|OVERCOMING CHALLENGES AND BUILDING ON THE FUTURE|
M-KOPA,PAY-AS-YOU-GO (PAYG) model,M-PESA,Safaricom,Single Point Partners,Eseye Limited,d.light energy private limited,Machine to Machine (M2M) Technology,M-KOPAnet