The Exxon - Mobil Merger Controversy|Business Strategy|Case Study|Case Studies

The Exxon - Mobil Merger Controversy

            
 
Case Studies | Case Study in Business, Management, Operations, Strategy, Case Study

ICMR HOME | Case Studies Collection

Case Details:

Case Code : BSTR117
Case Length : 21 Pages
Period : 1998-2003
Organization : ExxonMobil
Pub Date : 2004
Teaching Note :Not Available
Countries : USA
Industry : Oil and Energy

To download The Exxon - Mobil Merger Controversy case study (Case Code: BSTR117) click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:

Business Ethics Case Studies | Case Study in Management, Operations, Strategies, Business Ethics, Case Studies


OR


Buy With PayPal

Amount to be paid:



Prefer to pay in another currency ?
Select Currency for Payment



Exchange Rates: Click Here
Delivery Details: Click Here



Price:

For delivery in electronic format: Rs. 500;
For delivery through courier (within India): Rs. 500 + Shipping & Handling Charges extra

Business Strategy Case Studies
Business Strategy Short Case Studies
View Detailed Pricing Info
How To Order This Case
Business Case Studies
Case Studies by Area
Case Studies by Industry
Case Studies by Company

Custom Search



Please note:

This case study was compiled from published sources, and is intended to be used as a basis for class discussion. It is not intended to illustrate either effective or ineffective handling of a management situation. Nor is it a primary information source.



Chat with us

Strategic Management Formulation, Implementation, & Control, 12e

Please leave your feedback

Leave Your Feedback

ICMR India ICMR India ICMR India ICMR India RSS Feed

<< Previous

EXCERPTS

The Merger

Under the terms of the merger, approximately 1 bn shares of ExxonMobil were issued in exchange for all outstanding shares of Mobil, based on a swap ratio of 1.32015. 

After the merger, the shareholders of Exxon owned approximately 70 per cent of the merged entity, while Mobil shareholders owned the remaining 30 per cent.

Each outstanding share of Mobil's preferred stock was converted into one share of ExxonMobil preferred stock. For the nine month period ending September 30, 1999, the merged entity reported revenues of $130.95 bn and a net income of $5.63 bn (Refer Table I).

ExxonMobil owned 21 bn barrels of proven oil reserves and its equivalent in natural gas, about 1% of the worldwide total. A near term operating synergy of $2.8 bn was expected...

Business Strategy | Case Study in Management, Operations, Strategies, Business Strategy, Case Studies

The Merger Rationale

Many reasons lay behind the merger of Exxon and Mobil. Analysts said that improved earnings stability, falling oil prices, long-term capital productivity, and enhanced competitive advantage in technology were the main reasons behind the mega merger.

Improved Earnings Stability

The merged entity's functional and geographic diversity was expected to improve its combined business and financial performance by reducing the sensitivity of the company's earnings to volatile market conditions inherent in the energy business. ExxonMobil's diverse portfolio of assets - crude oil & natural gas production, petroleum refining & marketing, and petrochemicals - was expected to generate more stable operating cash flows and higher long-term returns. From a geographic point of view, ExxonMobil's competitive position was expected to be further strengthened in mature markets and the company was well-positioned to exploit growth opportunities in emerging markets.

Exxon had vast experience in deepwater exploration in West Africa while Mobil had production and exploration interests in Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea...

Excerpts Contd... >>


Custom Search





Economics for Managers Textbook
Textbooks Collection

Economics for Managers Workbook
ICMR books Collection

Case Studies in Business Strategy Volume VI

Case Studies in Business Strategy
e-Book on Business Strategy

Case Study Volumes Collection

 

Case Studies Links:- Case Studies, Short Case Studies, Simplified Case Studies.

Other Case Studies:- Multimedia Case Studies, Cases in Other Languages.

Business Reports Link:- Business Reports.

Books:- Textbooks, Work Books, Case Study Volumes.