Embedding Sustainability at Novo Nordisk: The Compassion Vs Competitiveness Dilemma
The case is structured to achieve the following teaching objectives:
- Understand the main issues related to corporate social responsibility and sustainability and the various challenges faced by organizations regarding the impact of their operations on the society and environment.
- Appreciate the importance of integrating sustainable development practices of a firm with its business strategy.
- Understand one of the key leadership challenges posed to organizations operating in emerging markets - corruption.
- Understand a key contemporary issue facing healthcare companies – the compassion vs competitiveness dilemma.
- Explore ways in which Novo Nordisk can strike the right balance between its business and global health.
|History of Sustainability at Novo Nordisk|
|Novo Nordisk Way of Management|
|Triple Bottom Line|
|Progress on Sustainability|
|Greek Price Cut Controversy|
healthcare companies,Novo Nordisk,Novozymes,Triple Bottom Line philosophy,Greek Price Cut Controversy,Novo Nordisk Learning Curve,CO2 Emissions,Dow Jones Sustainability Indices,Corporate Social Responsibility; Sustainable development; Corporate Sustainability; Integrating sustainable development to business strategy; Striking the right balance between business and global health; Striking the right balance between compassion and competitiveness; Managing stakeholders; Business Ethics; Triple bottomline; Shared value; ‘Novo Nordisk Way of Management’ (NNWM); Balance scorecard; Stakeholders map