Coffee Cup Woes: Starbucks’ Environmental Sustainability Challenge
The case is structured to achieve the following teaching objectives:
- Understand issues related to corporate sustainability and in being a globally and environmentally responsible company.
- Understand the importance and need for environmental sustainability for a company like Starbucks.
- Discuss and debate Starbucks’ approach toward environmental sustainability, particularly its initiatives to address the issue of waste generated by disposable coffee cups.
- Understand issues and challenges in convincing consumers to adopt reusable cups and problems in recycling paper cups.
- Explore ways in which Starbucks can address these issues effectively.
|Starbucks And Sustainability|
|Starbucks Cups - The Problem|
|Early Efforts To Solve The Problem|
|Low-Cost Reusable Cups|
Corporate sustainability; Environmental sustainability; Ecological challenges; Global environmental issues; Managing environmental issues; Stages of corporate environmental responsibility; Waste management; Recycling; Life-cycle analysis; Business-government-society relationship; Systems Approach; Stakeholder theory; Managing stakeholder tension