Case Code : CLMM088
Publication date : 2010
Subject : Marketing Management
Industry : Consumer Packaged Goods/ Miscellaneous
Length : 05 Pages
Price : Rs. 100
To download this case click on the button below, and select the case from the list of available cases:
» Marketing Management
» Marketing Case Studies**
» Case Studies Collection
» View Detailed Pricing Info
PepsiCo, 7UP, Fido Dido, Advertising, Branding, advertising icon, promotion, promotional campaign, Case Study, Trademark, license, Generation Y, Merchandise, positioning, Marketing
1: This caselet is intended for use only in class discussions.
2: More comprehensive case studies are priced at Rs.200 to Rs.700 (US $5 to US $16) per copy.
This short case looks back on the journey of Fido as an advertising icon. It explores the association the icon had with PepsiCo's 7UP brand, the problems it faced that led PepsiCo to replace it with another icon, and finally what led PepsiCo to re-introduce Fido Dido in its ads in the early 2000s.
Questions for Discussion
1. Critically analyze Fido Dido as an advertising icon. What, according to you, are the reasons for its popularity even after a quarter of a decade of its introduction?
2. Was PepsiCo's decision to remove Fido Dido as the mascot of 7UP correct? What else could they have done to keep the identity of the 7UP brand unique?
3. Why did PepsiCo bring back Fido Dido? What implications could PepsiCo face by re-introducing Fido?
Case Studies on Related Topics
1. Brand Naming: Kraft Foods' "iSnack 2.0"' Controversy in Australia
2. Droid: Challenger to the iPhone?
3. Crisis Management at Toyota
4. AMD's Consumer and Channel Marketing Initiatives